End of Month 3: What I learned about raw food
I made it! A whole month of raw at every meal. Fewf! I know I didn’t post any more raw meals. I did eat several more completely raw meals but I literally didn’t have the time to get new recipes to try. I can only applaud people who commit to a fully raw diet. It is a lot of work. I am in a play and so is my husband, so I couldn’t shlock the recipes off to him either. Where does he get off having a life at the same time as me !?! :p
What I’ve learned about adding raw to your diet:
1. If you don’t have a lot of raw in your diet already, add it in slowly. I found the first completely raw meal that I had left me with some indigestion. It is not the case for everyone, but it’s always best to take it slow.
2. Chewing is essential. If you find that you are having trouble digesting raw foods, make sure to chew it…a lot. It will make the foods much easier to digest and the nutrients easier to absorb.
3. Eating raw can be very easy or very hard, depending on the route you take. Having a salad and buying some raw dressing is super easy to do. Making a meal involving the soaking of nuts and/or needing a dehydrator…not so easy. If you are going to go on a raw diet, it takes a lot of planning and can be costly. I’m of course including the dehydrator you will have to buy in that budget.
4. Once you start adding more raw into your diet, your body will crave it. I no longer crave fried foods, but if I go a meal without a raw component, I start to feel it.
5. I could never go fully raw. Firstly, I’m way too lazy and secondly, I love meat. I have definitely cut down on the amount of servings and serving sizes when it comes to meat, but I like meat too much to give it up forever. This last one was something I learned about myself, which I think is very important to note!
So there you have it. I fully intend to continue adding raw foods to my diet on a regular basis, especially now that I have a crave on for them.
I’ve already started Month 4: Supply myself with supplements, more on that soon.